[ExI] BICEP2 and the Fermi paradox

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 10 14:44:13 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark

>.That's OK, I think we should give the devil his due. The very core of
Christianity is inherently illogical but Christian franchises that don't
think their hero (God) would approve of torturing someone for eternity are
morally superior to other franchises that think that the ultimate moral
paragon would judge it to be a good idea to burn un-baptized children for a
infinite number of years. John K Clark

So they say.  I can think of exactly one other socially redeeming quality of
SDA and one for Mormons.  The SDA people are very open minded to the notion
of cryonics.  In their system, the human is a machine; there is no separate
or separable soul or spirit or anything that can exist apart from the
physical matter that makes up human bodies.  So the resurrection is a
recreation of an exact copy of the present human body mad of atoms, running
the exact program it ran while living, on a physical planet in a 1-G field.
There is exactly nothing in any of that which has any problem with cryonics.
(Almost.  No SDA theologian has worked out what happens if a person gets
frozen, uploaded, then the simulation apostatizes.)

We can scarcely fail to notice transhumanism seems to play well in Mormon
circles.