[ExI] Death follows European contact (Mirco Romanato)

Andrew Mckee andymck35 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 10:37:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 05:14:40 +1200, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Another myth is that the native Americans lived in ecological harmony
> with
> the land, but just a few thousand years ago the megafauna in the Americas
> was more spectacular than even what could be found in Africa, but it all
> vanished almost immediately when humans moved in for the first time. The
> native Australians and New Zealanders did the same thing with their
> megafauna.

Bzzzttt!, there was never any mega-fauna on the New Zealand islands to
begin with, it's geologically too young to have developed any.
The fauna and creatures that did arrive are largely still here, early saw
happy European colonists not withstanding.

But you're being dis-ingenious to begin with surely?
Since I'd always thought that the age of warm, wet and sky high co2 levels
that enabled megafauna was well and truly over long before any humans
walked the earth, no?