[ExI] Dim vision of the future

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 08:06:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Compare this with this week's talkie in my networks:
> http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/meditations-on-moloch/

I think that piece just defined TLDR.  :)

I liked this bit:

Quote:
So I agree with Robin Hanson. This is the dream time. This is a rare
confluence of circumstances where we are unusually safe from
multipolar traps, and as such weird things like art and science and
philosophy and love can flourish.

As technological advance increases, the rare confluence will come to
an end. New opportunities to throw values under the bus for increased
competitiveness will arise. New ways of copying agents to increase the
population will soak up our excess resources and resurrect Malthus'
unquiet spirit. Capitalism and democracy, previously our protectors,
will figure out ways to route around their inconvenient dependence on
human values. And our coordination power will not be nearly up to the
task, assuming something much more powerful than all of us combined
doesn't show up and crush our combined efforts with a wave of its paw.

So I dream on for a while.................

BillK