[ExI] shockley's lab

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Aug 7 08:20:33 UTC 2014

spike <spike66 at att.net> , 5/8/2014 10:32 PM:

 I am explaining to Isaac why this spot is ground zero for the entire electronics revolution, 391 San Antonio Road in Mountain View:

 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50947659/Shockley%20lab/Explaining.jpgIt is interesting what spots we find the beginnings of our era in. Behind my office, on the wall of the not-so-impressive Westgate shopping center is this plaque commemorating that Roger Bacon invented the experimental scientific method here: https://flic.kr/p/4sxh3P Over in Manchester they have a marker in the university area where the first civilian computer was built: https://flic.kr/p/t5P7z and not far away where the atom was split: https://flic.kr/p/4uckqE

(Of course, not all plaques commemorate big events: https://flic.kr/p/58dsNw and some are just philosophy in-jokes https://flic.kr/p/t5P7z )

 There is a sketchy plan involves restoring the site as much as possible to its 1956 appearance and possibly building a structure above and around it to create a museum at the site.  Parking is limited, so the investors would need to buy the property to the north of the lab for a parking structure.  Saving this place in Mountain View will not be cheap, but there is money that thinks it is worth doing.  I don’t know the current status of the project.
They better hurry before Walmart and the nearby developments reach it.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University