[ExI] Diminishing influence of increasing carbon dioxide on temperature

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 13:20:31 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
<snip>
> I am increasingly worried about ocean acidification rather than temperature
> increases: cold water invertebrates use aragonite rather than calcite, and
> are pretty sensitive to pH shifts. Since their reproduction rate is a
> powerful driver of ecology this might have huge effects (this is after all a
> nonlinear system with explicit positive feedback loops due to reproduction -
> think of the azolla event). If we find trouble in the northern waters we are
> unlikely to be able to slow things south for the calcite shell organisms
> (and normal albedo-based geoengineering won't help). So watch those Alaska
> fisheries reports closely (adjusting for iron seeding confounders).

It is not just ocean acidification. There is pollution, micro-plastic
pollution, over-fishing, warming temperatures, no-oxygen dead areas.
etc.

See: <http://www.fastcoexist.com/3034013/meet-the-pioneering-female-scientist-and-explorer-who-is-bearing-witness-to-the-oceans-destr>

Quote:
In the 1970s, when Earle last dove in the Coral Sea, she fell in love
with its vibrant reef, idyllic in its remote location far off the
northeast Australia coast.
"The whole point of going there was to find a really healthy,
beautiful system to come to the end of this film, and we can go:
'ta-dah, there's reason for hope,'" Earle told Co.Exist in an
interview.

Instead, when a still-spry Earle and her companions hit the water in
their SCUBA gear, they encountered a wasteland. No colors. No fish. No
life.
"We were shocked. We were really shocked," says co-director and
producer Fisher Stevens