[ExI] Alzheimer's and pot

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 21:43:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25024327#
> The potential therapeutic effects of THC on Alzheimer's disease.
> Cao C1, Li Y2, Liu H1, Bai G2, Mayl J3, Lin X1, Sutherland K4, Nabar N5, Cai J2.

This was reported in Aug 2014 in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.
<http://www.j-alz.com/node/388>

The word 'potential' is important. This is a cell culture study and
the report is very cautious about possibilities for treating humans.

Quote:
The researchers point out that at the low doses studied, the
therapeutic benefits of THC appear to prevail over the associated
risks of THC toxicity and memory impairment.
"While we are still far from a consensus, this study indicates that
THC and THC-related compounds may be of therapeutic value in
Alzheimer's disease," Nabar said. "Are we advocating that people use
illicit drugs to prevent the disease? No. It's important to keep in
mind that just because a drug may be effective doesn't mean it can be
safely used by anyone. However, these findings may lead to the
development of related compounds that are safe, legal, and useful in
the treatment of Alzheimer's disease."
-------

Marijuana does appear to be of some benefit for serious dementia
sufferers, in helping relaxation and reducing panic attacks. But as
there are memory problems associated with pot, it would probably not
be suggested for subjects who already have memory problems.

BillK