[ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 04:06:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> My questions are these: if I have a candidate who is informed and
> consenting, is it ethically acceptable for me to proceed with bexarotene
> experiments?  If so, and we find the results positive, is it OK for me (or
> mandatory for me) to publicize the results, knowing that it may put some
> desperate patients at great risk, and invite abuse with possibly fatal
> results?  If yes for the first question and no for the second, do not these
> two results contradict each other?  If yes and yes, are those results
> contradictory?  Is not this a classic medical ethics dilemma?

### If you design your controls well, you will have valid results from a
one-person study, an interventional case report with self-control (
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6689736). This may be the lowest on the
totem pole of clinical studies, but it is a piece of truth, shining however
dimly where complete darkness reigns. The results may confirm the
hypothesis or they may help reject it. Whatever can be destroyed by truth,
should be, whether it is the idea that bexarotene does not work for AD, or
that it does. We need more truth, every little crumb of it.

Rafał