[ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Dec 7 17:18:56 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 12:59 AM, spike wrote:
<snip>
>>... To complicate matters a bit, I bounced this question off of one of my
> doctor friends.  He advised me to stop forthwith.  He didn't explain
> himself very well, just said there was just too many unknowns here to
proceed, so, stop.

>>... Now I don't know what I am going to do.  But I might discuss the
> matter with the candidate's son, the one who has been a friend since
> college days, have him discuss the matter with my friends in the medical
biz.

>...Probably what worries your doctor friend is his fundamental belief
"primum non nocere". First, do no harm. Then secondly, that if he does do
harm he will get the ass sued off him in court and have his license to
practice medicine revoked.
>...In your case, you can give your data to the relatives, and that will
move the responsibility away from your shoulders. But I doubt if any medical
professional will risk his career by using an untested treatment.  BillK

BillK, in this case, the doctor who advised stop no longer has an active
license.  He is about 80 and is suffering from Parkinson's.  The candidate
patient is also a retired physician and is also about 80.  I agree he was
probably thinking of the first line of his Hippocratic Oath.