[ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Dec 8 17:08:10 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [ExI] Medical power of attorney for cryonicsts

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>…I was fortunate to go into aerospace.  Of all fields I know of, that one is the most free of ethical dilemmas.  In my entire career I never ran across one that I recall.  Our bosses might lean on us to work our asses off, but not once was I ever pressured to do the wrong thing, or to do anything against my conscience or to rush anything out the door before I was completely satisfied it was right.

>…One might argue that going into a weapons design firm, knowing that you're designing stuff intended to be used to kill other human beings, is an ethical issue in and of itself - and that includes most military aviation design… Adrian

On the contrary Adrian, nearly all modern military design doesn’t kill people, but rather saves people.  Consider as an example THAAD.  That doesn’t kill anyone, but if it works correctly, it destroys incoming missiles which save people.  Consider Israel’s Iron Dome.  That system saves people from being killed.  All the really high tech stuff being designed today doesn’t kill at all.  The F22 is a holdover from the old days, and I still don’t see why we need it when we have advanced anti-aircraft drones which make the whole notion of fighter planes outdated.

As far as slaying people, the design phase on that kind of stuff was over long before the oldest person here was born.  In the closest thing to a war going today, they use old fashioned handguns and rifles, and when they deem their victims unworthy of the cost of a small caliber round, they use knives or stones.

Technological advances explain why we don’t have WW1 style battles anymore, or at least not any place which has advanced technology.