[ExI] cheerful thought

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 12 23:13:49 UTC 2014

spike <spike66 at att.net> , 12/12/2014 7:29 PM:

On this topic, I have had this crazy high Rosetta reading of 530 ppm on my mind, and a cheerful thought occurred to me.  Said to myself: Spike, if you are struggling and worrying about the anomalously high reading of the deuterium to hydrogen ratio on 67P, well you just don’t have enough problems, me lad.

Indeed! It is beyond a first world problem, this is a zeroth world problem.

I can by the way happily report that we have another transhumanist PhD in the world since today, Dr Karim Jebari. I was on his examination committee and am happy with his thesis, but I expect him to be even happier tonight.
http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:768647/FULLTEXT02.pdf

http://philpapers.org/s/Karim%20Jebari

The most interesting paper IMHO in the thesis was about de-extinction of extinct species, where he showed that by the standards of environmental ethics we ought to do this for some species. An earlier talk applies this to Neanderthals
http://slides.com/karimjebari/should-the-neanderthals-be-extinct#/

(while most people outside environmental ethics - Karim included - find their normative ideas problematic, the ideas actually do seem to imply we have a moral duty not to go extinct ourselves).

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University