[ExI] keith's vision

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 11 05:58:06 UTC 2014

I don't know the details of this control system, but clearly these controls
guys are on it:

http://www.army.mil/article/116793/Army_tests_vehicle_mounted_laser_against_
multiple_targets/

WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE, N.M. (Dec. 11, 2013) -- The Army used a
vehicle-mounted high-energy laser for the first time to successfully engage
more than 90 mortar rounds and several unmanned aerial vehicles in flight.

The Army High Energy Laser Mobile Demonstrator, or HEL MD, underwent
multiple test events between Nov. 18 and Dec. 10, at White Sands Missile
Range.

This was the first full-up demonstration of the HEL MD in the configuration
that included the laser and beam director mounted in the vehicle, according
to officials of the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces
Strategic Command. They said a surrogate radar, the Enhanced Multi Mode
Radar, supported the engagement by queuing the laser. .

If they can track a mortar round, then they can keep a laser focused on a
launch vehicle.  And if they can build one of these, they can build many,
and focus them all on the launcher.  So now if we can get a launch vehicle
that can take the heat and turn it into thrust, Keith's vision of low cost
launching becomes reality.