[ExI] 3d of the 1a

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 11 15:47:20 UTC 2014

A nearby type 1a supernova has been in the news, the closest one since my
own misspent youth in 1986.  Back in those days, we were going nuts trying
to figure out why the 1a supernovae seemed to detonate sooner than theory
would suggest, about 1% or more too soon.  In those benighted times, we were
just getting computing hardware capable of 3D models, so we were still using
the 2D models.

The 2D models also predicted a more symmetrical explosion than nature
demonstrated, so we knew at the time it had something to do with turbulence.
Chaos theory was far less advanced in those days than it is today.  Now
these 3D models have shown that superheated ash plumes made of iron and
nickel flow upward and initiate fusion in the lighter elements above.

In the meantime, the 1a in M82 is putting on quite the show.  It peaked
yesterday at 10.5.   Ohhhhh orgasm is this a cool time to be alive or what?

http://news.science360.gov/obj/pic-day/a4438f92-16d6-4f9a-9552-bb09fd7c480b/
3-d-simulation-exploding-supernova

http://www.nsf.gov/news/mmg/mmg_disp.jsp?med_id=73842
<http://www.nsf.gov/news/mmg/mmg_disp.jsp?med_id=73842&from=mmg> &from=mmg