[ExI] hard science

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 13:51:25 UTC 2014

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

 >OK Ben and Natasha and everyone:  if we are not going to be wearing ape
 >suits in the future, what will we be like?

Whatever we want to be like.  On an individual basis.

My assumption (and it may be wrong, for various reasons) is that
uploading will be possible.

My attitude is that if it's not possible, then we're pretty much screwed
anyway, no matter what else is possible.  This is mainly because if
uploading is not possible, we're stuck with biology, and biology is
extremely fragile.  Without uploading, I see no long-term future for the
human race at all.  Certainly no worthwhile one.

So, any far-future scenario that's at all interesting for me is one in
which humans have been uploaded long ago.  They will be far removed from
current humans, would likely be entirely incomprehensible to us, and
have abilities that we can barely understand or even imagine.

Not ideal material for a story, is it?

If I wanted to write a story based in the far future, I suppose it would
have to be about a set of uploads who decided to 'download' themselves
into limited bodies, with corresponding limitation of their minds, and
it would follow their adventures.  In other words, they'd effectively be
going back to their distant past.

I suppose what I'm saying is, if you want to write a story about the far
future, don't try to make it 'realistic'.  That's probably not
possible.  Stick broadly within the laws of physics, and just make stuff
up without fretting about how plausible it is.

Oh, here's another possibility:  The story takes place entirely within a
simulation created by the uploads, then even the laws of physics can be
played around with.  You could have a hard-SF story with magic in it!
(been done, by Cory Doctorow, I think, but I forget the name of the story).

Ben Zaiboc