[ExI] The meaning of life (in transhumanism)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 12:41:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> It is fun to see that the first flurry of responses actually manages to
> cover nearly all main approaches to the question. I'll keep out of
> responding for a little while in order not to bias you too much.

Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
- George Carlin

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
John Lennon

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
warning to others.

And, of course,
Monty Python film -  The Meaning of Life (1983).
With the brilliant Eric Idle song -

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44DlSj6bnn4>  2:40mins

Man in Pink: [singing]
Whenever life gets you down Mrs. Brown / and things seem hard or tough
/ and people are stupid, obnoxious or daft / and you feel that you've
had quite enough! / just remember that your standing on a planet
that's evolving / revolving at nine-hundred miles an hour / its
orbiting at ninety miles a second / so its reckoned / a sun that is
the source of all our power / the sun and you and me / and all the
stars that we can see / are moving at a million miles a day / in an
outer spiral arm at forty-thousand miles an hour / of the galaxy we
call the Milky Way / Our galaxy itself / contains a hundred billion
stars / its a hundred thousand light years side to side / it bulges in
the middle / sixteen-thousand light years thick / but out by us its
just three-thousand light years wide / were thirty-thousand light
years from galactic central point / we go round every
two-hundred-million years / and our galaxy is only one of millions of
billions in this amazing and expanding universe.

[musical interlude]

Man in Pink: The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding / in
all of the directions it can whiz / as fast as it can go / the speed
of light you know / twelve million miles a minute and thats the
fastest speed there is / so remember when your feeling very small and
insecure / how amazingly unlikely is your birth / and pray that there
intelligent life somewhere up in space / cause theres bugger all down
here on Earth.