[ExI] The meaning of life (in transhumanism)

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 01:38:34 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> [...]
> So the meaning of life for the posthuman is the same continual striving.
> Finally, my always cheerful colleague Guy Kahane has written a paper on
> "Our cosmic insignificance" (
> http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nous.12030/full ) which
> tackles the question of just how insignificant we are. He concludes that we
> might very well be insignificant, but not for the reasons usually invoked,
> and we do not *know *this.
>
> "A concern with cosmic significance can be entirely outward looking. What
> is important deserves our attention. What is cosmically importance deserves
> our attention, when
> we adopt a viewpoint that encompasses everything. This needn't, of course,
> be us. If God exists, for example, He would be of immense cosmic
> significance. It goes without saying,
> that this is something that's important to know. ... (We think it is
> important to know where life came from, how the universe begun, and how it
> will end. Surely, if this purely theoretical knowledge about the cosmos is
> important, then knowledge about what's cosmically important is *at least*as important.)
>
> In any event, even if there was something distasteful in the *desire *for
> cosmic significance, it hardly follows that it doesn't matter whether we *are
> *cosmically significant. (That it's childish to fantasize about being a
> hero doesn't mean there are no heroes.) ...
>
> There is something embarrassingly megalomaniac in the desire for grand
> cosmic significance. Even so, this desire might be fulfilled. It is highly
> unlikely that any of us possesses cosmic significance. But as is turns out,
> if we are alone in the universe then, taken together, we humans may
> nevertheless be of immense cosmic significance--and the irony is that we
> might have this significance precisely because the surrounding universe is
> so cold and indifferent. ... If we possess great significance, we possess
> it precisely because there is no one else but us-- and thus only when there
> is no one (but us) who can appreciate our significance. We may be centre
> stage, but the theatre is empty.
>
> If anything, this result should be sobering. It is not a cause for
> elation, but a burden, a great responsibility. If we are alone in the
> universe, the only thing of value, then this gives our continuing
> existence, and our efforts to avert disaster, a cosmic urgency, on top of
> whatever self-interested, anthropocentric reasons we have to stay around.
> That is to say, we might be *far more* important than we take ourselves
> to be. We humans are after all careless in numerous familiar ways, we fail
> to safeguard the future, or kick off pernicious habits. From a cosmic point
> of view, the problem wouldn't be that we suffer from an inflated sense of
> importance. It is that that we don't take our existence seriously enough."
>
> There is much more that can be quoted and discussed, but I'll stop here

This is not a reply to Anders above but just a couple of thoughts.

We are born human.  This is our group and we try to stay in it, most of us,
support our group, and try to love our fellow humans.  We also try to
contribute to it and improve it in some ways.  The least we can do is use
our talents to do our duty to ourselves, our families, and ultimately our
race.

In the law a duty is paired with a right.  Society has a right to expect us
to perform as above - to do our duties.

I think that "He was a dutiful person" is a great epitaph.   bill