[ExI] The second step towards immortality

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 15:09:07 UTC 2014

On 1/3/14, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> In any case, I believe that we have drifted too far away from the
> original topic and this discussion would fit better to some
> crypto-related mailing list.

### On the contrary! This is fascinating - fully homeomorphic
encryption in a computer is like a haunting, an alien presence
inhabiting a house nominally under our control, perhaps expungeable by
burning the house down but not corruptible to our purposes. With
enough knowledge and computing power this approach gives security to
our souls - one should remember that our biological hardware is
protected against hacking only by our poor knowledge of the mechanics
of biological computing, a situation likely to change in the next 50
years.

I predict that in 50 years biological humans will be easy to read, and
write to, given physical access to the surface of the skull and an
opportunity to inject minute amounts of remotely controllable
nanodevices. Homeomorphically encypted uploads might be however immune
against this attack, even if forced to run on hostile hardware.
Furthermore, the upload could be configured with a protective shell,
to assure that when run, it would not be possible to torture him to
force compliance. Add to it the cryptographically enforced protections
of property, cryptographically enforced weapon locks (i.e. local,
individual, system-independent physical enforcement of property claims
- something that is very limited nowadays) and there could be yet a
renaissance for a humankind of individuals rather than the Borganic
dreams of the James Hughses of this world.

It is absolutely fascinating to think that privacy could again exist
but in fine gradations not achievable using our present embodiments -
you can imagine a place for different levels of privacy in the same
mind. Parts of the mind might be completely or partially transparent,
to enable rigorous verification of its sincere willingness to acquit
obligations and fulfill promises, thus allowing highly advanced,
trusted-agent cooperative ventures. Parts might be opaque,
unpredictable, making the society itself less likely to be corrupted
by a single idea or a single wielder of power.

Rafal