[ExI] Martin Gardner

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Sun Jan 5 18:23:19 UTC 2014

<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/books/review/undiluted-hocus-pocus-by-martin-gardner.html?pagewanted=1&ref=books&pagewanted=all>

A book review of Martin Gardner's autobiography
by Teller. Of Penn &, not Edward, of hydrogen
bombs and LLNL. Although Edward Teller and Martin
Gardner both loved science and lived to 95.
Teller was from Budapest; Gardner from Tulsa.
Budapest and Tulsa are often confused. I know I am.

Reading over that ¶, I see that thinking about
Gardner is an autonomic trigger for attempted
whimsy. And borogoves. Which is how I tell him
apart from Edward Teller, who sets me thinking of Lt. Gen. Leslie Groves.

I have here the copy of his The 2nd Scientific
American Book of Mathematical Puzzles &
Diversions I was given as a kid. Leafing through,
I remember each chapter was like seeing (my
favorite) Uncle Abe. Quirky, funny, interesting,
and interested in what a kid had to say.

-- David.