[ExI] The second step towards immortality

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Mon Jan 6 13:55:57 UTC 2014

Il 06/01/2014 14:34, BillK ha scritto:

> After uploading, the real world stops. It solidifies into an inert
> state so far as you are concerned. This is because uploads internal
> processes are hundreds or thousands of times faster. You live
> equivalent lifetimes in real world minutes. You won't want to
> experience the real world because to you it never changes.

This is explained well by the words of a Marvel superhero, Quicksilver.
For him life is like living in an eternal queue at the post office.

But BillK, there is a little problem in your statement:
the real life is needed for real resources.
Without real resources, the uploaded people will stop to live.

And this is very interesting:

given the subjective time inside a simulation is like hundred or
thousand time faster than in real life, the people inside the simulation
need to be able to plan for centuries or millenniums ahead.
It would suck to be left without electric power to run the simulation if
no one think about building new power plants, maintain the grid and so on.

So, in my opinion, if a group of people upload themselves inside a
simulation (and are able to interact with the external world), they must
be able to plan ahead in a way normal humans are not designed to do,
because they must do so to survive in the long term.

Mirco