[ExI] far future

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 21:13:28 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> I agree, though I don't think that's the whole explanation.  They have also
> been shown many many examples of such promised futures which failed to
> deliver.  Further such utopian promises aggravate them, reminding them of
> the golden future they thought they would be enjoying today.
>
> It's not rational thought.  It employs distorting nostalgia, sheer
> misunderstanding of what was predicted, dramatization to reinterpret general
> hopes as specific promises to them personally that were broken, and
> projection that the people making new promises are in any way morally
> connected to and liable for said "broken promises".

And, of course, one of the disadvantages of being rich is that you
constantly receive pitches of great ideas that only need your
investment to be a great success. That's why they employ people to vet
the constant stream of petitions.  Billionaires probably never even
hear about most of the proposals.

And their employees worry about job security. They won't support risky
or far-out projects that might get them sacked if unsuccessful.

> It can also help to point out that their riches will enable them to do even
> more.  If everyone can get cheap energy, the rich can get so much more cheap
> energy.  The poor might have enough for heat and to grow food.  The rich
> might have enough to journey to the Moon on pocket change, or at least with
> the same casualness with which they can currently fly around - especially
> those who have their own private jets.

Not so much. If they already have everything that money can buy, the
only thing they want more of is money and status.

BillK