[ExI] common core educations standards, was: RE: far future

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jan 18 01:42:14 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [ExI] far future

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>>.I was the only person in my 5th grade class to pass a test like that.
Took me three minutes to do the test. Others struggled with it for the whole
hour. It was easy to pass if you followed the instructions. Kelly

 >>.Doh!  I missed your post with the logic test.  My apologies, and please
Doctor, do post the test again por favor.

>.I was not speaking of his test, but of one I encountered in elementary
school.  -Kelly

Oh ja OK, I misunderstood.  I am still hoping to get Dr. Wallace to post the
question that busted his class.

Here's one for you.  I haven't heard any debate on Common Core standards
here, but I am finding the whole debate most interesting.  My son's
principle commented that the way the questions are asked is baffling some of
the students.  She went on to say that the first and second graders are
catching on quickly, and are better at it than the fifth and sixth grades.
Their parents, forget it, they don't understand, and the grandparents are
hopeless.

An example is the following Common Core test question, which contains an
error.  Can you spot the error and give the solution?  I am so brainwashed,
I read into the question what I think they meant, never even noticing the
grammatical error, and figured it out immediately:

"Tyler made 36 total snowflakes which is a multiple of how triangular
snowflakes he made. How many triangular snowflakes could he have made?"

Did ya get it?   {8-]  They have a funny backhanded way of asking questions.

Commentary on Common Core is invited.