[ExI] Extreme chemistry

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Wed Jan 22 03:12:26 UTC 2014

Adrian wrote:

>Err...wasn't it already known that you could get unusual ionic
>configurations at high temperatures, some of which were stable at
>room temperature even if they couldn't be made at room temperature?

I'm not saying this is the first step. I'm saying this is the next
step, like finding a new category of extremophile. We're moving into
inventorying the possibilities. Making them. Seeing what they're good
for. Writing a new volume of the CRC handbook.

I expect some of what's made will turn out to be very useful. I hope
we will find the foundations for a high-pressure biochemistry. Then
we can look for life in gas giants. Or seed them.

-- David.