[ExI] What's Wrong With Academic Futurists?

Robin D Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Mon Jan 27 13:04:46 UTC 2014

On Jan 26, 2014, at 8:18 PM, Keith Henson wrote:
>> If you have no confidence in "people's" ability to predict, I don't see how
>> that can be the basis for preferring some people's ability over others.
>
> I think I said I took them seriously, over people who have not done
> any work.  Their predictions tend to be plausible, not accurate.

I can't see the point of plausibility that doesn't lead to more accuracy.

Robin Hanson  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Res. Assoc., Future of Humanity Inst., Oxford Univ.
Assoc. Professor, George Mason University
Chief Scientist, Consensus Point
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030
703-993-2326 FAX: 703-993-2323