[ExI] how far can she go?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 28 06:37:31 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike

>.I will settle for a wimpy numerical solution if your calculus is
rusty.spike

OK I should have stated it parametrically to start with, instead of that
N=4, E=3.  I tried to solve it by letting N=E, and still didn't get a clean
closed form solution, or haven't yet.  I will try again tomorrow when I am
rested.

This is so crazy!  The arctic runaway girl problem should be so easy, but it
isn't!  A simple-sounding differential maximization problem has whooped my
ass!  {8-[  I can restate it even simpler: hiker wants to maximize the
distance from home by going 1 km north and 1 km east.  Assuming the north
pole trick, how can she maximize the distance from home?

We expect a nice gentle clean closed-form kind-hearted solution, but I can
find only solutions that are as messy as the war on drugs.  I must be doing
something wrong.  {8-[

Help us, O.D.E. wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.