[ExI] What's Wrong With Academic Futurists?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 19:32:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM, spike wrote:
> In the long run, most of us can see we need effective use of solar power,
> probably both space based and ground based.  Our immediate challenge is to
> figure out how to build that infrastructure and how to use the power
> generated.  If we screw up that effort, none of the rest of the things we
> talk about here in the area of futurism will make much difference.

And who's leading the charge?   Farmers!

<http://www.midwestenergynews.com/2014/01/27/in-the-midwest-farmers-leading-the-way-on-solar-power/>
Quote:
"It's a huge buzz now throughout the agriculture industry," said Todd
Miller, sales director for CB Solar in Ankeny, Iowa.

In Washington County, Iowa, for example, farmers with access to an
unusual and lucrative combination of federal, state and utility
incentives were anticipating payback periods of as little as two
years, according to Ed Raber, director of the county's economic
development corporation.

Consequently, he said, "There are more solar panels in Washington
County than in any other county in Iowa."