[ExI] How dangerous is radiation?

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue Jul 8 21:02:19 UTC 2014

Il 08/07/2014 19:29, John Clark ha scritto:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com
> <mailto:hkeithhenson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      > Radiologists are reputed to have a lower rate of cancer, but it's
>     also thought that high energy physicist die at higher rates
>     from leukemia.
>

> There are lots and lots of radiologists but I wonder if there are enough
> high energy physicist to get a statistically meaningful result. And
> anyway when the beam is on there's 300 feet of rock between them and the
> radiation, neutrinos can still get through but I very much doubt they
> are harmful.

Leukemia is not induced only by radiations (it is just a popular cause).

high energy physicist work in an environment where a lot of tailor made
stuff is used. I would not be surprised they are exposed to a large
number of chemicals.

It is like anesthesiologists and surgery room crews. They are exposed to
a lot of chemicals (mainly the anesthetic gases) and they must check
their liver for problems. The patients, in comparison, get large doses
for a very short time. The workers very small doses for years and years.

A lot of military deaths in Italy were linked with soldiers
participating to the Peacekeeping for in Kosovo just after the war.
All talking about radiations.
But the types of cancers were different in type and speed of growth from
the types one would expect from radiation exposure. They  developed the
cancers too fast and just few years after the war.
My hypothesis was they were exposed to some type of chemicals on the
ground. A burning tank must not be the most healthy source of smoke and
powders.

Mirco