[ExI] How will air travel work in a green solar economy?

Robert G Kennedy III, PE robot at ultimax.com
Thu Jul 10 15:23:20 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-10 08:00, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are only 2 other sources that have the potential to power our
> civilization for the next billion years:
>
> 1) Fusion reactors, but nobody is close to figuring out how to build
> even a
> working model much less a practical machine.
> 2) Thorium fission reactors, and we?ve known how to build them for
> half a
> century.

No, there are 3:

space-based photovoltaic satellites.

either in GEO as the late great Peter Glaser invented/envisioned, or at
the Sun-Earth L1 point as we and a few others have proposed. See for
example our "Dyson Dots and Geoengineering: The Killer App to Bootstrap
Us Ad Astra" article in JBIS vol.66, no.10-11, Oct-Nov 2013. Our
geoengineering with SBSP work has also appeared in Acta Astronautica in
2012 (another refereed journal), as well as the Whole Earth Review way
back in the summer of 2001. Also Stanford webcast us back then right
after 9/11. Also we were published by the Russian Academy of Sciences /
Rosgidromet (their national weather service) in 2011. Yes, the Russkiis
have all of a sudden got serious about climate change.

And I would substitute fast breeders for the fusion reactors, since we
do already know how to build and operate the former, but not the latter.
We'd just have to be honest and call it as the "plutonium economy",
since that's what it is.

But of all of these, solar is the one with the most "headroom" for the
human race, even just down here on /terra firma/. The United States
alone encompasses 2 billion acres. The "built environment" (buildings,
parking lots, roads, but not farms) covers about 5% of that, ~100
million acres. One acre in the temperate zone can host 1/6th to 1/4th of
a MW(e) of solar electric generating capacity, depending on technology
and latitude and cloud cover. Now, nameplate capacity of the US grid is
1 terawatt; steady state generation is closer to just half of that, 0.5
TW or 500 GW(e). The global grid is less than 4 TW(e); steady-state
about 2 TW(e). These rough figures suggest that there's sufficient area
just on the parking lots and rooftops (that happen to be pointing the
right way) of America to host solar equivalent to the world's grid
several times over. That's without covering up one single square meter
of grass or productive farmland, which the Germans mistakenly did.

In space, a single Dyson Dot the size of Texas could host enough PV on
its sunny side to provide the entire planetary primary energy that we
forecast by the year 2050. Meanwhile the Dot is also providing a bit of
shade, 1/4th of one percent, enough to cool down the Earth just enough
to offset AGW, about 2 deg. C worth.

Btw, LNG would be an even better aviation fuel, especially for
professional (non-amateur) flyers, with far less difficult handling and
density problems than LH2. Expect to see LNG-fueled a/c in the next
decade.

Robert

--
Robert G Kennedy III, PE