[ExI] y2k bug

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jul 12 18:08:42 UTC 2014

Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> , 11/7/2014 5:25 PM:
On Friday, July 11, 2014 10:04 AM, spike wrote,
> All the yakkity yak we heard in 1999 about the Y2K bug and how it was
going
> to kill us all turned out to be quite the bust.

Actually, the Y2K bug was not a bust.
Are there any good post-mortem whitepapers that analysed the total impact, the outages, and especially the what-if outages that would have happened without the effort? Y2K seems to have been both a potential risk that was largely averted, and a risk people decided to forget about as soon as the hangovers lifted. There is probably plenty to be learned from this.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University