[ExI] puzzle

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jul 17 15:06:56 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:27 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] puzzle

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 5:50 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Take a glass and fill it to the halfway mark.  Is it half full or half empty, is the usual question.
My question:  in what circumstance (s) may it be regarded as full?  bill w

If the volume of the glass is infinite then a half full glass has as much milk as a full glass. The same would be true if the volume of the glass was zero.

 John K Clark

Sure, but this is a thought experiment.  So the glass is imaginary.  If we theorize the linear dimension of the glass is imaginary, then the area it covers on the table it the square of the imaginary linear dimension, so the area is real and negative.  The volume of the glass is both negative and imaginary.  So now if we add imaginary liquid, does it fill the glass or empty it?