[ExI] Arabs don't read

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Jul 20 19:14:24 UTC 2014

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 1:30 PM, John Clark wrote,
> Ah the moderate Muslim, that elusive prey that's as hard to find as Big Foot
> or cold fusion or ESP or flying saucers.

OK, I understand your point.  I am not going to debate whether moderate Muslims even exist.  I think they do, but apparently you do not.  I don't think I have any new information that your probably haven't already seen already.  So we don't need to duplicate that particular discussion on this list.

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 1:46 PM, John Clark wrote,
On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
> > Apparently, according to Wikipedia, this claim is only made for political and religious purposes.
> Politics and religion are the only things that could effect....

OK, you caught me by my own words, and I think I must concede.  I was arguing that the actual numbers within the overlapping populations (Arabs, Muslims, extremists) cannot even come close to justifying the cause and effect you describe.  However, as your counterpoint makes me realize, when politics and religion become involved, the actual numbers don't matter.  Popular opinion can be manipulated by a minority via politics and religion to dictate public policy overriding the views of the majority.  So your explanation about extremist Muslims limiting the number of books translated into Arabic may actually be correct, even if I am right about most Arabic readers having no such objections.

--
Harvey Newstrom   www.HarveyNewstrom.com