[ExI] Be nice to leftists

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:29:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 5:54 AM, Jukka Liukkonen <jukka.liukkonen at iki.fi>
wrote:

> What is left about?
>
> - Leftists want affordable (or free) healthcare for everyone. Not just for
> the well paying middle class, but also for the illegal aliens and even the
> poorest homeless alcoholics. This is because leftists see that human value
> is intrinsic, humanity is not for sale and everyone are equal. Everyone
> deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, since everyone are equal
> members of the society. Maternal care and affordable high quality
> healthcare have resulted higher quality life and longer life expectancy.
>
> - Same goes with education. In Scandinavia, where left wing ideas have
> been traditionally strong, schools and universities have been tuition-free,
> the school cafeterias give pupils free lunch and school books need not be
> bought since state provides them for free. Genuinely accessible education
> has meant genuine equality: everyone can rise up social ladders if they are
> skilled, creative or clever. Likewise wealthy or successful people's
> offsprings can fail, but their children can again rise up if on their own
> merits. Class is not merely result of your parents wealth, it's about your
> own merits and hard work.
>
> - This does not mean people are drained in taxes. As the population is
> highly educated, the state is able design its functions more smart and more
> optimal than less educated and less knowledgeable administration would.
> Thus it is able to produce high quality services cheaper and more
> abundantly available than what the private sector would. The public
> healthcare needs not take their cut and make profit, they can use all their
> resources to actual care. With scale benefits the public sector is able to
> purchase large quantities of medication for cheaper prices than the private
> sector would. Basically leftist countries are able to provide the best
> parts of capitalism for everyone without excessive costs.
>
> - Leftists want ecologically sustainable world, that will have healthy
> food, plenty of species, fresh water, breathable air, and biodiversity for
> the future generations too. Currently every 60 seconds one species goes
> extinct. Capitalism and industrial revolution have started mass extinction
> wave of species. Every day we may lose cure for cancer and other deadly
> diseases, just so you can buy unhealthy cheap burgers produced by exploited
> workers in global south and in western countries. Meanwhile air, water and
> soil contaminants cause cancer, diseases, respiratory problems, asthma,
> lower life quality and life expectancy reduction. By keeping the nature
> green, this can be avoided.
>
> - Which leads us to human rights: the left is strong about human rights,
> this is why the left opposes wars. Wars are in modern world mostly about
> resources and money. The day Afghanistan was captured the oil contracts
> were revised. The human rights have not been revised. Wars are only about
> [...]

Jukk can speak for me too.  I have directed several supposed conservatives
to politicalcompass.org where they have taken the little test only to find
that they are somewhat on the left, mainly because of social issues.​

​ I am still waiting for Rafa's data showing that leftists are as he
described, which is not at all what I believe in.  So I think Rafa is
making a huge generalization that he cannot support.  wfw​