[ExI] Planetary boundaries (current issue of Science)

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 16:44:20 UTC 2014

the
skills needed to solve the problem and the skills needed to convince
others that there is a reasonable solution rarely occur in the same
person.

This is a classic case of the breakdown in Asperger's Syndrome:  they can
systematize, do math and engineering, but cannot understand people well.
They seem to lack what we call a theory of mind.  They seem not to be able
to see things from another stand point.  So as a salesman, say, they cannot
read the other person well to see what is working and what is not working -
to sell an idea, say.  Asperger's is an extreme example of what is commonly
found in engineers/math people.  The other extreme is found more often in
females - they have a high degree of emotional intelligence but don't
understand systems well at all (or even reason and logic, I hear some
say).  The above is the work of Simon Baron Cohen.    The men also tend to
be introverts as well.  Extroverts have a harder time staying on task.
bill w