[ExI] What Does Chatbot Eugene Goostman's Success on the Turing Test Mean?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jun 10 21:05:04 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
…

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/09/eugene-person-human-computer-robot-chat-turing-test John K Clark

>…Ja, but would it fool an AD patient?  One who is living in 1966 and doesn’t remember ever having owned a computer?...spike

Two or more possible applications: rig up a chat-bot to engage spam callers.  We could then keep them busy for several minutes in some cases, if they are stupid.  We could tune them to a bunch of different settings and stock answers, see which ones work best by recording which keeps the phone-spammers occupied for the longest time.  Of course phone spammers would evolve defenses against this strategy, which would be to ask questions up front to determine if the respondent is a person or a bot.  This would immediately tip off humans who answer the phone that it is a spammer.  Then as we collect their questions and strategies, we could evolve new defense strategies.  COOL!  Let the games begin.  Modern information warfare.

Second idea: we could set up a keyboard/text version of Goostman to engage Nigerian prince email scammers.  After the Nigerian princes discover we have rigged our email address with one of these bots, they would keep track of that email @ and not use it again.  Clearly a list of Goostmanned email @s would be valuable to bogus Nigerian princes, so they would want that list.  So we could make up lists of email @s which are rigged with these chat-bots, include our own email and that of our friends, then advertise them for sale to the bogus Nigerian princes.  (This I suppose would make me a bogus bogus Nigerian prince, but in this case the double boguses do not cancel to create an actual Nigerian prince.)     Then whenever one of the bogus Nigerian princes falls for it and buys a list, we have their email @, which we add to a list of bogus Nigerian princes to autofilter.  Then we sell list of bogus Nigerian prince email @s to proles and make money both ways.  Kewall!

Another idea: we are pondering ways to make a Goostman pose as a visitor for AD patients.  Let’s rig a Goostman to pose as an AD patient still in the home, to answer the phone and attract the attention of scammers who sell stuff to senile people.  We are debating using a Goostman to mimic an unimpaired human to interact with an impaired humans.  I bet we could make one of these things mimic an impaired person to interact with an unimpaired (but dishonest) human.

Oh boy, sell us a Goostman.  We will have such fun with it.