[ExI] be nice to leftists

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Sat Jun 14 17:40:06 UTC 2014

> On Jun 14, 2014, at 2:30 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM, William Flynn Wallace<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So whether one can give examples of leftists who are 'obsessed with power and status' by the tens or by the thousands, it doesn't prove anything at all as to whether they are any different from people on the right.  One would expect that a very high proportion of both leftists and rightists fit the description. Which is to say that they are typical, and successful examples of the human race as it now exists.
>
> ### Over 90% of the wielders of power in our society (Federal employees, elite university faculty and administrators, mainstream journalists, public intellectuals) are culturally leftist. And yes, those who have power are different from us - they got where they are because of being obsessed with power and status, and skilled at gaining power. Since non-leftists (whom leftists sloppily classify as "right") have much less power than cultural leftists, yes, this implies they are different - either less interested or less skilled at obtaining power.
>
> Rafal

The non left in DC who rise to power are quite skilled and interested in obtaining power. Having lived in Washington DC most of my life and knowing many of people from the left and the right in positions of power, I can say your description is not consistent with my observations. The non-left are consistently more obsessed with gaining power and control and better at maintaining it through manipulating fear and diverting attention from their drive for power at any cost. Some would describe their tactics as ruthless and unethical. The right would respond by suggesting such forms of deception are necessary to win this existential battle. The leftists are pulled in as a last ditch effort to check this power-grab since it becomes apparent to them that the right will not cease until they have total world domination and propagation of their values at any cost. It's not a live and let live philosophy. Again, I'm not interpreting from a distance, this was my experience exposed to personal friends and friends of my family when I was growing up who are/were power players in DC (senators, lobbyists, cabinet dept leadership and employees, wealthy $ contributors from special interests) of both right and left ideologies. FWIW. My perspective is unique as I have been privileged to be exposed to such people especially as a child in private settings where they were not inclined to be guarded and would speak candidly. I don't expect this to change your perspective, but it is worth noting this reality I have observed to those who might entertain your suggestions.
-Henry