[ExI] for the fermi paradox fans

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 01:38:20 UTC 2014

I see strong underpinnings of popular cosmology among the assumptions
being used.

Both Dark Matter and Dark Energy are required in the orthodox
model of cosmology.  The problem is there is no General Relativity
plus Dark Matter model which satisfies the basic statistical mechanical
observations of spiral galaxies. Given that several competing models
produce statistically valid results while GR + DM does not indicates
there is no valid basis for assuming the general validity of either GR
or DM as currently being used in cosmology.  Hence any thermodynamic
results from those theories are also suspect since they rely upon an
observationally invalid foundation.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1107.2934.pdf + several follow on papers.
The follow on papers also describe several modified GR theories
not requiring DM providing statistically valid results GR + DM
cannot.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1404.7525.pdf - the current state of things.

*****

Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se>,15 June 2014 5:29 PM:

"Basically, I think this points towards external rational adversaries being relatively manageable."

The separation issue depends upon cosmological models without a valid foundation.

"Singleton civilizations also prevent internal adversaries."

I do not see an argument in support of this statement.  All present known life began
as a singleton event yet immediately spawned countless adversarial relationships. No
example in nature or human civilization would seem to support this.

"The problem is the case where irrational adversaries are around (burning cosmic commons, the google-prime calculator),"

"Irrational adversaries" assumes a common knowledge of what are irrational
courses of action. I see no methodology where that assumption could be made.

"the case of utility functions that depend on each other (zorgons love to simulate humans in agony; our utility is decreased by theirs),"

A great many adversarial events in human history revolve around this issue.

"and non-singleton civilizations where internal adversaries evolve."

The safer assumption is that all civilizations deal with the issue of internal adversaries.

I guess the question is can a singleton civilization come into existence at all
and if it does can it be a long term stable entity?  I believe the answer to the
first is situational dependent [requiring near ideal circumstances].  The
answer to the second is no - castles and cannonballs.  One can imagine
unsupported cosmological models improving both situations but the number
of possible wrong cosmologies is arbitrarily infinite.

Dennis