[ExI] for the fermi paradox fans

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Jun 16 22:22:08 UTC 2014

Dennis May <dennislmay at yahoo.com> , 16/6/2014 3:57 AM:
Both Dark Matter and Dark Energy are required in the orthodoxmodel of cosmology.  The problem is there is no General Relativityplus Dark Matter model which satisfies the basic statistical mechanicalobservations of spiral galaxies. Given that several competing modelsproduce statistically valid results while GR + DM does not indicatesthere is no valid basis for assuming the general validity of either GRor DM as currently being used in cosmology.  Hence any thermodynamicresults from those theories are also suspect since they rely upon anobservationally invalid foundation.
Sorry, but this doesn't work as an argument. The Landauer issue is a local thermodynamics issue; the only cosmological aspects that really matter to my models are whether there is an eventual finite horizon temperature and how much acceleration the expansion has. If one argues that any discrepancies in observations invalidates predictions or analysis, then clearly we cannot say anything about fluid dynamics (we have no good turbulence theory that fits data) nor about climate (lots of mildly contradictory parametrisations). That stuff will have to be updated as cosmology is refined is fine.

"Singleton civilizations also prevent internal adversaries."
I  do not see an argument in support of this statement.  All present known life beganas a singleton event yet immediately spawned countless adversarial relationships. Noexample in nature or human civilization would seem to support this.
I used the word singleton in the technical sense http://www.fhi.ox.ac.uk/singleton.pdf - indeed, no singleton has so far come into being, but that does not mean such systems cannot exist or will not be achieved.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University