[ExI] "Minimalism," a documentary...

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Jun 27 20:17:54 UTC 2014

My new favourite word is "Dord". Short and sweet.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dord
Although there is something with long words... I just bought "Schottenfreude: German Words for the Human Condition" by Ben Schott. It is full of made-up but quite adequate German words for our emotions. I will certainly go on an Erkenntnisspaziergang tomorrow. Given the considerations in http://www.aleph.se/andart/archives/2014/06/myoetaehaepeae_and_surprise_shadows.html and http://io9.com/can-you-feel-something-if-you-dont-have-a-word-for-it-1596854838it might a very good idea to make your language able to add new subtle concepts on the fly.
I have never been good at minimalism. I admire it (oh, Malevich's black square!) but I cannot actually do it.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University