[ExI] guitar playing robot

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Mar 3 15:55:42 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [ExI] guitar playing robot

>...Sorry, my memory failed me. It was a different German electronic
synthesizer group concert I attended... BillK

I forgive thee, my son.  Go and forget no more.

Please, a question for musicians, specifically not voice but some kind of
fingers instrument.  We spent years mastering how to play, working at it
every day.  In a typical high school, you may end up with about 50 to 100
horn players, perhaps 10-ish guitar players, but typically of that size
group only one or two get good enough to express their feelings on a musical
instrument because it takes years of focused effort.

What if all you need to do is write the music, then a robot can play it?  If
a musician never puts in the years on a horn or a guitar, can she ever write
cool music?  If we figure out how to let the robot hear us and carry the
musical ideas, but play them cleanly, can we go straight to the expression
stage without the practice-our-brains-out-until-we-don't-suck stage?

It isn't clear to me there is a good shortcut, but I am listening for
counter-argument.