[ExI] guitar playing robot

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 00:07:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> MIDI is a great composition tool, but I contend that for performance
> purposes, actually plucking the strings on an actual guitar is better than
> digital simulations of each pitch.  Reasoning: plucking a guitar string
> excites resonances in other strings in different ways, depending on which
> other strings are vibrating.  So in theory a MIDI guitar cannot be exactly
> the same as an actual guitar.  MIDI is perfectly acceptable for composing,
> but this guitar robot is the next step, a really cool one.

Digital composition is more than MIDI and simple instrument simulations.
For example, listen to some of the demos here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/scarbee-rickenbacker-bass/?content=2335

These are digital compositions played using samples of real instruments.

The guitar robot is a cute visual art piece, but it's basically steam punk
tech: expensive, complex, and unreliable. It will never become a commercial
product.

-Dave