[ExI] how heavy are double-slit apparatuses?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 06:50:13 UTC 2014

Some physicists came up with yet another interpretation of QM:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.6144

Of course, I don't understand what they are really talking about. But in a
vague way this article induced me to think about the weight of a
double-slit apparatus testing the interference pattern of single
non-massless particles like here:

http://www.hitachi.com/rd/portal/research/em/doubleslit.html

and I mean the whole shebang, including the single electrons, the barriers,
and detector. Now, as we all know, the detection of particle path changes
the pattern between interference and non-interference. But, if the
interference is caused by interaction between entities that have mass, does
the weight of the apparatus as a whole change when we switch the apparatus
between the interfering vs. non-interfering condition?

I don't mean the weight of the single electrons themselves, if this changed
we would have heard about it a long time ago. But, if the weight of the
macroscopic apparatus changes only by the weight of interfering entities, a
very minute value, then perhaps it's something that has not been measured
yet.

Naively, if the apparatus contains "more" particles (the single electrons
interfering with whatever it is that they interfere with) vs. "less"
particles (single electrons detected at the slits and thus not interfering
with anything), then there should be an overall difference in the masses of
the two versions of the apparatus, even though the switch from one version
to the other does not involve adding or removing any classical, non-QM
objects from the apparatus.

Does this explain the mystery of dark matter? Does it throw light at dark
energy? What is the meaning of everything? And why "42"?

Food for thought.

Rafal