[ExI] hard science

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun May 4 17:55:25 UTC 2014

>... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] hard science

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
>> ...  We might as well ask those women who have additional color vision
what they see that we can't.   bill w

>...Don't worry. Any women will soon tell a man that they are colour blind
as soon as they try to choose decorating colours.  :)  BillK

When my first house was being constructed, I was presented with the onerous
task of choosing patterns for the kitchen linoleum, the countertops, the
cabinets and the appliance style.  I had not a clue.  I could vaguely sense
that there were subtle differences between different decorative patterns in
floors and kitchen things, but this awareness was the limit of my perception
of these matters.  So my bride-to-be, who was at college at the time, chose
the patterns from photos.

A couple months later when the house was completed, my former college
roommate's wife walked in and immediately uttered the question "Who helped
you pick out these patterns?"  I evaded the question a bit: "What do you
mean, I don't understand.  What makes you think I need help?"  She: "When a
man picks out patterns, he picks out his favorite countertop, his favorite
linoleum, his favorite cabinets and his favorite appliance style, all very
nice patterns, but none of it matches.  This all matches.  So my question
is, what woman helped you pick out these patterns?"

I don't know how the heck women do that.  My bride is just as much an
engineer and math geek as I am, yet she also has this aesthetic thing going.
It is hard to say if that sense is somehow embedded in ovaries or if somehow
that talent is blocked by testicles.