[ExI] consciousness

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:00:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> I would not define consciousness as you do.  I think consciousness of a sort
> extends down to insects or even below.  Defining it in such as way as to say
> that only humans have it seems to make the mistaken conclusion that the mind
> is a metaphysical thing which only humans have.  I also think we will never
> know what consciousness is like in nonhuman creatures.  bill w

I think Adrian is talking about self-consciousness. I agree that
humans appear to be the only species that sit around thinking about
what it means to be human and talk about the meaning of life.

On the other hand consciousness does extend to lower species. Animals
can be happy, excited, feel pain and enjoy copulation. A bee can fly
miles to find nectar and navigate back to the hive and tell other bees
where to find the nectar. Amazing really, what a few neurons can do.

So I agree with both of you!  :)

BillK