[ExI] How the world collapses

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat May 17 22:45:46 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2014 10:12 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] How the world collapses

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

>>…  The solar panels on my roof don't seem very illusory.

>…But solar panels on the roof of my car are illusory because my car has 306 horsepower, one horsepower is equal to 746 watts so my car needs 228,276 watts.  On a bright day at noon solar cells produce about 10 watts per square foot, so my car would need 22,827 square feet of solar cells, that's not counting the additional air resistance caused by the 151x151 foot square mounted on the car's roof and the "WIDE LOAD" banner I'd have to place on the back.. And I still couldn't get to work at night or on cloudy days.  John K Clark

Ja, your car can produce 306 peak horsepower, but its average usage is less than a tenth of that typically, and you can cut that in half if you allow half again more time to make the trip.  If trips take half again longer than they once did, we start thinking of ways to not go, or to combine trips, saving even more.

I have the notion that we will tear around like our asses are on fire so long as it is cheap to do it.  Then after it isn’t cheap anymore, we will stop.  Then we will have a whole new pile of problems.  Now we waste because we can.