[ExI] Fwd: neurons

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Tue May 20 23:00:44 UTC 2014

Not sure what point you are trying to make. Kaku was trying to use the
neuron bimodal states (firing or not) to calculate the set of all possible
combination of states that give rise to thought. It is a simplistic
assumption.

One could say that what matters is how information is coded and that is not
completely understood. It can be a combination of things, firing times,
amplitude modulation, two or more signals arriving at the same time or in a
precise sequence and so on.

Kaku was doing what physicists often do, approximating a cow with a sphere.
It is easy in that way to calculate the volume of the cow and it is a
roughly good approximation.