[ExI] chemo-preservation and fund raising

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun May 25 16:17:59 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 4:40 PM, spike wrote:
> Short version: an aged mother was a cryonics enthusiast but had not funding
> for it.  She perished in December, so the survivors talked the funeral home
> into chemo-preserving the brain, whatever that means.  Formaldehyde?  The
> poster (a friend the son of the deceased) is passing the hat to collect
> funding to have the brain cryo-preserved.
>
> Question please: do we want that kind of material being posted to ExI?

I see no problem with a single post asking for charitable donations
with a link for further info if required. A fund-raising campaign with
a stream of posts would become tiresome though.

But there are thousands upon thousands of good causes needing
donations, so it may be safer to make a general rule to not allow
charitable requests to Exi-chat (but permit special case exceptions).
I don't think Exi should get involved in administrating the collection
of funds. If people want to donate to any good cause then it is up to
them to do due diligence before parting with their money.

In this particular case I would like a cryonics expert to investigate
the chemical preservation first. The preserved brain may be so badly
damaged that cryo preservation would be pointless anyway.

BillK