[ExI] Proposition 47 has passed in California

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:17:44 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nobody under the age of 25 (maybe a bit more) should use cannabis in any
> amount.

Maybe marijuana is harmful but the evidence is weak,  the evidence that
alcohol is harmful is enormously more compelling.

> I am a libertarian

Me too.

> and think that nearly all drugs (not talking medical here) should be
> available to adults

I agree except that I would drop the word "almost". It's true that some
chemicals can be harmful if used in excess, and one of those chemicals is
Raid but I'd hate to see it banned; I know that Entomology is a vibrant
field but I'm just not a big fan of bugs. And perhaps the person
specifically wants a drug that is harmful, perhaps that's the entire point
of taking it; I believe that making a person live who wants to die is just
as immoral as making a person die who wants to live.

> I think the evidence is telling for harm to young brains [from marijuana]

I don't but for the sake of argument let's assume that's true.

> > I would vote against any plan to make it available to those under 21

I don't see why you'd do that even if marijuana was lethal.  Haven't you
ever wondered why a 13 year old finds it so easy to buy a marijuana cigaret
but nearly impossible to by a bottle of gin? It's because one is legal and
one is not.

And now after saying all that I have a confession to make, I am a member of
a extremely small minority, I'm 65 years old but I've never had so much as
a single puff of marijuana in my life.

  John K Clark