[ExI] Proposition 47 has passed in California

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue Nov 11 09:26:42 UTC 2014

Il 10/11/2014 21:53, William Flynn Wallace ha scritto:
> There is a difference from jailing people for short time for minor
> offenses and jailing them for long time

> What I would like to see is different prisons for different offenses.

> Around here (central Mississippi) gangs run the prisons.

This is known and happen everywhere.
There was a few articles about the Mexican Mafia Gang in South
California controlling the jails and, by extension, controlling mexican
gangs outside the jail.

Mexican Mafia is/was formed by long term inmates. Mexican gangs outside
pay protection to them because their members know they have an high
probability to end in jail and need their protection and goodwill. And
they are protected by high walls and a lot of armed guards.

The best way to destroy the power of these gangs is to move components
continuously between jails, so they can not form an effective gang and
develop trust of each other.
You reduce their opportunity to develop a long term Prisoner Dilemma
Strategy because they will not interact for a long time.

Another way to reduce their power is to end the War on Drugs. No drugs
money, no power. And liberalize personal weapons for the population.

I have this thinking about the Sicilian Mafia:
if the people was armed, it would be difficult to extort protection
money from them. Why? Because, first or after, some hundred of armed and
angry people would show up under the house of the Boss to solve the
question . And the police would not.

Mirco