[ExI] Strong AI Hypothesis: logically flawed?

Flexman, Connor connor_flexman at brown.edu
Thu Oct 2 14:49:20 UTC 2014

Given the quantum mechanical fact that no particles are distinguishable
from other particles (there is no actual way to talk about this electron
and that electron, as in
http://lesswrong.com/lw/pl/no_individual_particles/           and
http://lesswrong.com/lw/ph/can_you_prove_two_particles_are_identical/), it
matters not at all that your atoms are slowly replaced over months. If you
lose a hand, you're still YOU. The only meaningful way to talk about who is
YOU is to talk about brain states. If you get your hand back but get a
lobotomy, you're no longer you. Then the thought experiment should be more
like, "If you die each night and are replaced with a new copy of your body,
but with all the memories AND brain connections AND current state AND
hormone and neurotransmitter balances, then would that make any difference
in how you live your life?" To which I would say no, because my mind is
entirely intact, and that's me.
Connor

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:48 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, October 2, 2014, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ​​ Suppose you are informed that
>> you have a disease that causes you to die whenever you fall asleep at
>> night so that the person who wakes up in the morning is a completely
>> different Dan Ust who shares your memories. This has been happening
>> every day of your life, but you have only just found out about it.
>> Would this information worry you or make any difference to how you
>> live your life?
>>
>> Absolutely YES.   It means that someone with my body and memories will
>> awake tomorrow but it will not be me.  It means that I will die today.
>> bill w
>>

> Then I'm sorry to upset you but this is more or less what actually happens
> in ordinary life. The matter in your body is replaced over time such that
> over a period of months very little of the original matter remains.
>

> --
> Stathis Papaioannou

Tsuyoku naritai