[ExI] Aging out of addiction?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 15:32:18 UTC 2014

My personal experience with addiction, use, abuse, or ?>?>?  I hope this
helps someone.

I smoked two packs a day for 25 years and quit cold turkey.  After a week I
never experienced any urgings, but ten years after that I took a big drag
and inhaled and said 'Yep, you'll be back to two packs in a second if you
let yourself.'  Never since.

When I reached the stage of getting up at 6 and pouring a quadruple vodka
with a coffee chaser to kill the burning inside, I quit cold turkey.  Felt
better immediately and had no urgings to go back.  But 8 years later I was
at a gala with free drinks and had three double vodkas in 15 minutes.  So I
said "See, you just can't drink, you can't moderate it."  Have not had so
much as a beer since.  Yes, alcohol has been in the house the whole time.
And yes, I've had plenty of stress that might cause a person to go back to
his abuses.

Now I don't know what you call these abuses, but I did not meet the
definition of an alcoholic although clearly I had a big problem with it.
Maybe I was just a drunk, although I never missed a teaching day - did my
job well.

I think it is pretty silly to call someone a shopping addict or sex
addict.  Not the same at all.

While I am on the subject, let me relate an allergy that manifests in
emotions:  I discovered that bourbon whiskey made me angry and
belligerent.   Other alcohols did not.  I'll bet that many people have this
kind of behavioral allergy, perhaps to bourbon, perhaps to beer or who
knows what.  We all know people who can change rather drastically when
under the influence.  I think of it as an allergy. Maybe if they would just
change their type of alcohol they'd not experience what can be fatal
emotions.

Hope this helps someone.

bill w