[ExI] Strong AI Hypothesis: logically flawed

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:53:27 UTC 2014

> i'd say more of a duelist than dualist  :)

​Here's the thing for me:  we have 100K enyzmes (most a mystery), scores of
hormones (that we know of) interacting in ways we are just beginning to
understand, all these neurons and glial cells.  In addition, recently it
has been found that gut bacteria may influence or even make
neurotransmitters.  What else are microbes doing to/with us?

So what is going on in our unconscious (we have a very poor idea of what it
is doing), preconscious (ditto), and conscious (ditto except for
introspection which is fundamentally flawed as data, and fMRIs which are
beginning to show some real promise)?  Influx from all the senses, much of
it blocked on a moment to moment basis, from hormones and who knows what
else in our blood that can penetrate the blood brain barrier, and some of
you can think of our brain's functions as something downloadable as zeros
and ones.​

​  Not only that, you think that this collection of digital info can be
conscious without all the input above - reduced to pure thoughts perhaps -
junking our apesuits, as someone said a few months ago.  The idea that you
could put a brain in a jar, much less a hard drive, and feed it all these
data to create a thinking and feeling machines that function like our own
brain, is just way, way beyond my ability to conceive of.  Note that I did
not say it was impossible.

Too much scifi perhaps?

bill w​