[ExI] ex post fucto

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Mon Oct 6 23:38:36 UTC 2014

I'm not sure this is the best example for what I thought you were trying to ask. Presumably the "crime" is soliciting a prostitute, and the fact that a baby is born is evidence of the crime. But that's quite trivial and irrelevant to issue raised, which is paternal responsibility to a child. Even after any other statute of limitations passed, the child would be his child, because that relationship is permanent. Suppose the guy died, leaving a Will which said only, "Divide my estate equally among my children." The harlot's child could use DNA to prove being one of those children, perhaps to the dismay of his other children. Those other children wouldn't have committed a crime, and might be quite horrified to have evidence of a half-sibling begotten in a brothel. But punishment, nor even disgrace, would not be the issue, only relationship.

In other words, who cares if the mother is a harlot? That's just a red herring. He would be (or, in my opinion, SHOULD BE) required to make child-support payments if he's the father of the child.

Tara Maya
Blog  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Amazon  |  Goodreads